Welcome to the Higher Maths webpage at JGHS. Below we have documents on course and assessment schedule along with revision materials. Please note, the nature of the new qualifications means that some classes will experience the topics and assessments in different order. Ask your teacher for more details.
Important Curriculum Documents
Please note, these are subject to change as new courses evolve. Also, different Higher classes may follow the curriculum in a different order depending on the teacher.
- Higher Maths Topic Information gives a brief overview to pupils and parents of the topics in the Higher course. It also has a bit of information regarding how these topics are developed at Advanced Higher and the practical applications in the working world. For a more detailed break down of what is in the course, see the pupil progress tracker.
- Internal Assessment Policy – Mathematics JGHS: This document provides important detail about the new National Qualifications Internal Assessment.
The Higher Maths Pupil Tracker can be used to track mastery of all subskills across the entire course. It can also be used to keep track of all results in internal assessments. This would be a very useful document to make sure you are prepared for any assessment.
Using Revision Packs as Homework
Your teacher may assign certain questions from the revision packs below as homework. If they do, they may ask you to refer to this document on How to Use Revision Packs for Homework.
Preparing for unit Assessment
It is very important to prepare sufficiently for internal assessments. Below are the review packs for each assessment standard in the course. Complete these prior to the unit assessment and the prelims. There are links to online revision and notes if you need extra support.
- 0.0 Angles – Revision pack
- A1.3 Recurrence Relations – Revision Pack
- EF1.3 (functions) – Revision Pack
- EF1.1 (Logarithms) – Revision Pack
- RC1.1 (Quadratics and Polynomials) – Revision Pack
- Please note that the first Prelim (In October) will contain all topics up to this point. Please attempt all questions in the revision packs to prepare. Also note that there will be questions that are in unfamiliar contexts however you will have the core knowledge required to answer them.
- EF1.2 and RC1.2 (Trigonometry) – Revision Pack
- RC1.3, RC1.4 and A1.4 (Calculus) – Revision Pack
- Please note, the January Prelim is likely to cover all topics up to this point, although this may be subject to change. Your class teacher will have all the information you require.
- Revision Materials and Exam Preparation
- The best site for past papers is maths777. They have every paper and marking scheme for the old Higher back to the year 2000. You can find them here.
- Many useful resources can be found on Millburn Academy’s website. We would like to thank them for allowing us to link to them here. They have notes and links to past papers at the end of the page.
- It can be useful to go back far for past papers. The more you do, the more you will see certain questions repeat themselves. You should never use how often a question comes up to try and predict if it will come up this year. However the more questions you have completed from the past, the less surprised you are likely to be. Here is a link to a school which has past papers back to 1994. Note, pre-2000 papers were all calculators allowed.
- You will be able to get a Zip File containing all past papers from 2000 to 2013 including marking schemes. You will need a desktop or laptop computer to access these. They are too large to upload to this site, however you can ask the head of department for a copy.
- Link to SQA official webpage which has access to past papers and specimen papers as well as other useful information.